Alter the timeline by entering people’s memories and manipulating their past decisions
Qi Yun is the last Rewinder, a person who can communicate with spirits and explore other people‘s memories to alter the past. Tasked by the guards of the underworld, he sets out to investigate a series of mysterious disappearances and deaths in a small village. Help Qi Yun in his quest The Rewinder, a beautiful pixel art adventure developed by Misty Mountain Studio and published by Gamera Game that will be released on Steam on September 10th.
In The Rewinder you will play as Qi Yun, the last known Rewinder, who can communicate with spirits and explore other people’s memories to change the past and thus the present. Tasked by the guards of the underworld, Qi Yun goes to a small village to investigate why a spirit couldn’t be reincarnated. This once thriving village has been deserted and filled with resentful spirits, leaving one woman alone in the teahouse. Who’s she waiting for? Where did all the other villagers go? What really happened seven years ago?
ABOUT THE REWINDER
The Rewinder is a 2D puzzle-adventure game inspired by traditional Chinese folklore. It’s been handcrafted by Misty Mountain Studio, and published by Gamera Game. Use senses and sensations to alter the characters’ behaviours and decisions, and enjoy a gorgeous pixel art style that mimics the aesthetics of Chinese ink paintings.
You will get to meet mythological figures such as the Spirit Wardens, the Ox-head and Horse-face Guardians of the Beyond, and the Tudi Gong (Keeper of the Land). At the request of the Spirit Wardens, you will take Qi Yun to a small village, which he’ll find almost completely deserted. You’ll have to investigate this mysterious case of disappearances and deaths, and the presence of resentful spirits in the town.
- Enjoy a stunning pixel art that mimics the aesthetics of Chinese ink paintings’ style and color schemes, while depicting a fantasy world of spirits and monsters.
- Delight in the rich world of Chinese folklore and get to meet mythical figures such as the Spirit Wardens, the Ox-head and Horse-face Guardians of the Beyond, and the Tudi Gong (Keeper of the Land).
- Enjoy a unique gameplay: besides classic point-and-click elements, The Rewinder also features original puzzle design mechanics. By utilizing “senses” collected from the game’s “memory world”, players can change NPC’s “intentions” and thus change history – altering the present in the process.
- Experience a striking story: be a superpowered detective to travel through different timelines, put the clues together, unravel a mystery and save the village.
- ABOUT MISTY MOUNTAIN STUDIO
- Misty Mountain Studio is an independent game studio established in 2018. The company was originally based in Melbourne, Australia, and moved to China in 2020. They are a small team of six people coming from a broad range of experience and education, but all with the same passion – making creative and interesting games.
- ABOUT GAMERA GAME
- Gamera Game is a Shanghai-based publisher founded in 2018. Focused on providing publishing services for indie games, the team aims to help game developers as their sidekicks, and because of that, it has established friendly relations with dozens of indie developers from all over the world. Among the games they have published you can find the recent success Amazing Cultivation Simulator.